Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Parting shots from Bakersfield - Day 4

Our four travelers have had some new experiences. Some firsts. They've never been out of Bakersfield and now are seeing the country and learning there is good in this sad old world. Thank you to Danny at KCAS Bakersfield shelter for the parting shots. He's working on a video and Pit Bulls and Other Animals can't wait to share it. 

And please sign up for the new Reunion Rescue newsletter - organizing to #savelives just like the Bakersfield 4. 



Ruben, their road caretaker and driver, says each day they get more and more relaxed. Learning to trust humans when you've never known kindness is a big thing. Thanks to the Bakersfield KCAS staff who took the time from a busy workload in a huge crowded shelter to show these dogs some kindness, the first they'd ever known.                     

Driving down I-5

I don't ever want to die

Cause I'd no more get to see

All this beauty passing by me

Laundry on the line

Truckers passing on the right

Every color on the wind

You know you're living if you've sinned

Down I-5

Here are a few from the evening departure I stole from Danny's page (so thank you, Danny) to share with you. The workers you see in the photos stayed late after a hard grueling day to make sure the Bakersfield 4 were loaded up safely and to say their bittersweet goodbyes.

The creep who beat them put a bite on their records and one last nasty blow after she'd been arrested. It's hard enough to save a regular dog and until the Bakersfield 4, not one bite case ever has been rescued from Bakersfield KCAS shelter. So, these shelter folks were amazed and pretty elated that the dogs will have a chance to live their lives.

One their way to Austin area, they drove to Hesperia that first day. The Land of Enchantment filled their wide eyes yesterday while stopping often for potty breaks and leg stretching. Ruben even picked up another 4-legged hitcher who our Bakersfield 4 welcomed with no growling or hackles raised. Every text I get from Ruben about them amazes me. I've never seen abused dogs so willing to trust. This is a real big deal. They are teaching me. If everybody, me included, lived our lives like the Bakersfield 4, what a wonderful world this would be.

Shoulder's burning in the window

I should roll it up I know

I pass the signs that promise hell

They don't know me at all

Some are born to sweet delight

Some are born to endless night

Born to endless night 

I've tasted both, they are the same
To each other I turn again

So they should be arriving today, weather and traffic permitting and we'll have some welcome news and photos to share. You can bet on that.

But for now, all is well

I see the horses on the hill

I smell the cut grass on the air

Feel the wind hot in my hair

Down I-5

Please follow them on their Bakersfield 4 Facebook page and help us raise awareness regarding the overcrowded shelter situation in Calfiornia and the rest of the country.



 





No comments:

Post a Comment