Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Me, Pip, This is Us and God's Winged Horse

Today, Pip and I had a joyful experience. I've been slighting her of late. I was sick with a sinus infection and couldn't walk her for one week. She was the trouper she has always been, though. She is a survivor, that Pip.


We started off on our 3 mile hike. It was about 90 degrees and we both began to pant and sweat. I knew the walk was going to be special when Emmylou and Mark Knopfler aired on the radio singing This is Us.


We began to make up our own words. Whenever I hear a song with a special meaning, I always think of the dog and those songs. I tributed the dogs in my book with their special songs. 

We heard Dignity by Bob Dylan today and then God's Winged Horse by Buddy and Julie Miller. 

For a horsehead girl like Pip, I will always think of her when I hear this song. I remember those old nights I used to work in the sweat and the beer at that old club on East Riverside, the Back Room. I remember Julie and Buddy Miller playing there on Monday nights. 

I feel blessed to have heard their sweet music and I feel blessed to know Pip.











No comments:

Post a Comment