Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas, Baby...

With all of the sadness and unwanted dogs in shelters, it's been kind of hard to catch the Christmas spirit this year. I don't think I've ever seen so many helpless animals. I must admit, it got to me today and I started to cry. I was feeding the birds and Persia, my little cockatiel, walked over to me and stuck his beak through the cage. I leaned down and he gave me a kiss. That's all it took. The tiny little kiss from a bird.

Sometimes that's all we have to give. Persia taught me a lesson today. We may not be able to save the world, but we can love one another. I have so much to be grateful for today.

I have a shrine upstairs which contains the ashes of the ones no longer with me. Roy, my beautiful yellow tabby who lived to be 20 years old, is there. Alamo, the little white parakeet from San Francisco animal control is there. Little Piggles, Junior, T-Rex and Mookie.

Today, on the day before Christmas, I am very grateful for the animals here. Pip is here from Bakersfield. She was all up and down the coast of California and in boarding and shelters for two and a half years. Now, she's here with me in Texas and waiting for that perfect home.

Rowdy Cowgirl is healthy and precious and will turn 13 this year. I remember when I'd walk her back to her cage at SFACC, not knowing when her time would run out, yet promising I would not let her down. Rebel is live and kicking and going on 16! Tex and Cubby are happy and healthy. Fernando, Germ, Buddy, Martha and Candy welcomed a litter of kittens who've decided to take up residence with us.











No comments:

Post a Comment