Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mr. Shit Head

Bunny Rabbit
Benny is doing better and better, but slowly. That's ok, we have the rest of our lives. He is making friends at Doug's, namely Rummy, who began by licking Benny's boo boo's the first day Benny arrived.

Today, Clare, Patti and I were emailing a bit about Benny. Clare has the best animal stories. She recently had a transcript with a rabbit who called another rabbit a shit head.

People think bunnies and parakeets are all flowers and sugar, but they are beings just like big people and have big personalities as well.

This particular bunny, and I'm borrowing Clare's experiences here, hoping it's ok, because she just has the best animal experiences of anyone I've ever encountered. Anyway, this Mr. Bunny learned this behavior and term from humans, of course. I won't tell the whole story as that belongs to Clare, but the amazing parts to me involved the bunny's mate, a former WWII cook. If anyone is familiar with the cuisine during those times, rabbit was quite in vogue if for no other reason than availability during stressful times of rationing.

These bits of knowledge are fascinating to me. I do not communicate with animals myself. I've tried, but my time has not come yet. I feel they need me for other things. If I were able to have the gifts that Clare does with animals, I don't believe I would be able to deal with all of the ones who come across my computer screen every day, day in and day out. If I were to know all of the horror stories, I don't believe I could bear it.

When I look at the photographs each day that Doug sends of Benny, I am filled with a peace that is not of my own making. I am filled with one message and it's from Benny. He tells me, 'just wait, Cindy. Be patient. Your time will come. Right now, you have a job to do. Just as I do, as all of the animals do. You are a member of a great community. A member."

These words are very important to me. I began several months ago for no outward reason to ask for guidance and how I might be able to serve. It was frightening to do this. As my friend, Chaz, says, "hey, I don't want to go to Africa!" I get that. I'm always afraid I'll be asked to do some big huge Stanley and Livingstone missionary endeavor. I needn't worry. That job is not for me. I know that now. I will not be asked to do something that I would be no good at. I am not missionary material. That is not my calling.

I do know that if I should simply ask to be of service, I will find myself productive. There will be no time for anger and vile thoughts, but I can still be kinda spicy acting. I can still have my own tweaked out sense of humor and I can laugh and be entertained all day by the animals and my own thoughts.

In my book, Pit Bull Nation, I liken myself to part Bunny Rabbit from Captain Kangaroo and part Big Love Lois. I am proud to see parts of me in these characters and to know that I will find even more strange and beautiful characteristics in my nature as my journey unfurls.

What a wonderful sad old world. What a wonderful life.

This blog is dedicated to my wonderful human friend, Clare.





No comments:

Post a Comment