Saturday, January 15, 2011

If you can keep your head when all about you...


If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

                                                  'If' by Rudyard Kipling


This week has been a reign of terror and mass confusion. The usual hordes of dogs' faces literally stampeding across my desktop, each one's eyes begging for life. I can only save a few and have to make Sophie's Choice every day.

This week, five were saved.

Little Grace and Natasha made it out of Shafter ACC. These two are two of the lucky ones. They are young and healthy, beautiful girls who are each going into wonderful foster to adopt homes.

Benny was a long shot. He had given up and was waiting in Turlock to die. I sent him a message and made a deal with him. I asked Benny to give life one more shot. I asked him to hope when he didn't know what hope was. He is trying. We are treating his horrible mange and past abuse with homeopathy, love and good meals. As homeopathy works, sometimes the symptoms spike out of control and the patient seems worse as it happened with Benny. Last night, his foster mom called very upset and worried. Benny had developed a horrible cough and she could hear a nasty rattle in his chest. I had a suspicion that the toxins were collecting and Benny's body was trying to move them through his system. He was given one more dose of his homeopathic remedy and was sent reiki.

This morning, foster mom called overjoyed. Benny coughed one more time and that was it. She could see a spark in his eyes, a healing taking place. He went downstairs all by himself, a first.

Mr. Sweets was rescued from the high kill Riverside Shelter in LA. Other than Mr. Sweets' serious case of mange and worry surrounding his condition, the experiences with Riverside Shelter as well as the experiences with Turlock and Shafter were exemplary. Each of these three shelters went above and beyond to work with rescue and save dogs. This is huge.

In comparison, we received a letter from the Salinas Animal Services director in relation to the two we lost last weekend, Fancy and Little Angel. All of the time and energy being exhausted over two dogs who they still claim died 'accidentally' could have been channelled toward saving other animals. If Fancy and Little Angel had been in Shafter, Turlock or Riverside, they might be alive today. And these shelters do not have a paid staffer who organizes transport/rescue of all shelter dogs and sells her dog food at the bottom of every email.

Little Suzie Wong, a Chinese Shar Pei with a case of demodex caught a ride from Lancaster with Kathi, our reiki master and generous hearted transporter. Kathi stopped by Shafter in the nick of time, literally, to pick up Grace and Natasha.

Benny is resting and recuperating in his Mendocino foster home. Mr. Sweets is in a plush Hollywood foster home, living the lavish lush lust for life life. Suzie Wong is in a temporary San Francisco Bay Area retreat with Reunion adopters who practice great diet/homeopathic lifestyle.

Last Saturday night, I heard about a little one, just three months old, who went to his death long long long before it was his time. He fought to live, but was not strong enough to fight the system at this shelter. Well, I'm making him a promise.

I am strong. I am going to fight back for these two. I am going to pick up my worn out tools and fight back like David fought Goliath.

Join me in my fight. Join NoKillCali.


1 comment:

  1. I am not a "paid staffer" of the Salinas Animal Shelter or any other organization or company, I am a 13 year volunteer with AFRP, have actively and in person, hands on volunteered for the Salinas Shelter for the last 25 years, I am a board member of multiple other non-profit rescue groups and yes I do own and operate a home prepared dog food company in which I donate to rescue groups for dogs that have medical conditions and are in need of a more holistic food product.

    What I do with my personal business is up to me. I see too that you also advertise your "Pitbull Nation" book at the end of each of your emails, and the difference is?

    Just to clarify again, I AM NOT A PAID EMPLOYEE of the Salinas Shelter nor any rescue group in which I am on the board.

    ReplyDelete